21 February 2006

What about all the scrolling?

I know this is and old, old topic. But lately, I have been putting more thought into all the scolling on the sites I visit. Certainly we have all faced enough people in our work and lives who 'hate' to scroll. I personally, don't mind so much. But from a user centered perspective, should we as web designers force people to use the browsers scroll bar just to explore? I think not. More and more I am of the mind to contain content to 900 x 600. That size suites the mainstream 1024 x 768, plus all that other stuff that windows and the browser needs.

If the content needs more width, or length, then code the scroll into the html. In that event the user only needs to scroll if the content is truely of interest. Seems like an easy enough concession.